FRA Americanism Essay Contest
The FRA National Committee on Americanism-Patriotism sponsors an annual Americanism Essay Contest. To find out this year's theme, please visit our website.
FRA's Essay Contest is open to all students grades 7 through 12 (including those who are home schooled). Each entrant must be sponsored by an FRA member in good standing or by a currently chartered branch or unit.
Essay Contest Rules:
- All entrants shall be students in grades 7 through 12 (or equivalent).
- Entrants must be sponsored by a branch of the Fleet Reserve Association or a unit of the
- The essay shall be on the theme designated and shall not exceed 350 words.
- The essay shall be legibly written or typed on one side of the paper.
- A student may submit only one entry each year.
- Each entry must be accompanied by a separate sheet stating: the entrant’s name; address; zip code; telephone number; school grade (or equivalent); name of school or the words “home schooled;” student’s Social Security Number (optional); number of words in essay; and the sponsoring branch/unit or sponsor’s name.
- If selected a “contest winner,” the student’s Social Security Number shall be provided for
the sole purpose of complying with the rules of issuance of a U.S. Savings Bond.
- Entries submitted to branches shall be submitted to the Branch Americanism-Patriotism
Committee and postmarked not later than December 1 for judging at the branch level.
- Entries sponsored by membership at large members shall be submitted to the national
chairman and forwarded to an appropriate branch for judging in their respective grade
group. All entries shall be postmarked not later than December 1st.
- All entries become the property of the Fleet Reserve Association.
Grand National Prize is a $10,000 U.S. Savings Bond; $5,000, $3,000 and $2,000 Savings Bonds awarded to the first, second and third place winners in each grade category. All regional winners are judged at the national level and receive a certificate of recognition. Other prizes are awarded at the branch and regional levels.